Seeking freedom and a new life, a group of families came to the United States from Slovakia. They were led by the Lord to gather together around Word and Sacrament in a congregation. Bound to the Holy Scripture and the Lutheran Confessions, they trusted in their God, His grace in Christ and His divine guidance.
1909 - Organized and Chartered.
1913 - First permanent church building on Federal Avenue NE.
1949 - Construction of second church building on 2nd Street and Federal Avenue NE.
1968 - Re-Location to present site at corner of Wales and Hills & Dales Roads NE, with construction of Education Wing – worship services held in Fellowship Hall.
1985 - Dedication of newly constructed Sanctuary and 0ffice Wing.
1989 - St. John Lutheran Preschool opened with 3- and 4-year-old classes and 35
1999 - Elementary School chartered with Ohio Department of Education, with preschool
and Kindergarten to 5th grade classes.
2004 - Elementary School closes, but Preschool continues with classes for 3's, 4's, Pre-K,
2006 - Partnership with St. Mark, Steubenville with St. John's as sponsoring
congregation for Vicarage Program, with vicars arriving each year to serve the
two congregations (program ended in 2012).
2009 - st. John's celebrates its 100th anniversary, with 6 special Centennial Services
under the Theme, "One in The Spirit; United in Christ and with Each Other."
2010- Resurrection, Malvern, Ohio, opened as satellite mission of St. John's, eventually
becoming a congregation of the SELC District - LC-MS.
Rev. John Manka, 1916 - 1929
Rev. George Gona, 1924 - 1925
Rev. Joseph Valo, 1925 - 1930
Rev. George Dolak, 1930 - 1940
Rev. Francis Machina, 1951 - 1957
Rev. Andrew Brondos, 1958 - 1969
Rev. Gerald Kovac, 1970 - 1972
Rev. John Kucera, 1973 - 1987
Rev. John Telloni, 1987 - Present